Short days, cold nights, and dry air are right around the corner. If you live in an area which brings the cold in the winter months, this means another thing as well: dry skin. While you might be focused on bundling up just to stay warm, it can be easy to forget that our skin needs some attention. The winter is particularly rough on the skin on our hands, feet, and elbows. In fact, many of us experience skin dryness to the point that it becomes itchy, cracked, and may even bleed.
So what can we do about it? Thankfully, there are some simple ways to keep your skin healthy and strong this winter and all year long.
Why Winter Weather Causes Dry Skin
There are two primary reasons why the winter causes dry skin:
- Winter weather tends to be drier and colder. This is true both outside and even more so inside. When the heat is constantly running indoors, that can suck the moisture out of your home, workplace, and other locations.
- Being cold leads many of us to take long, hot showers/baths. While these may provide temporary relief and the ability to fantasize that we aren’t freezing our you-know-what’s off, they actually do more harm than good when it comes to skin health.
There is nothing to be done about the outside weather besides wearing appropriately warm clothing. However, these other root causes are very controllable as we will see in the following section.
Simple Tips to Prevent Dry Skin this Winter
Limit your showers and/or baths in duration and temperature. The number one controllable factor for dry skin in the winter is taking excessively long, hot showers. We all understand the appeal of standing in a hot shower, but the heat saps your skin of essential moisture and leaves you itchy, dry, and uncomfortable.
Consider using a humidifier, particularly while you sleep. Another controllable factor which causes winter skin dryness is indoor low humidity levels. The best time to utilize a humidifier is while you are sleeping. Close your bedroom door and allow the humidifier to work while you rest. This is also a great way to keep your lungs healthy during the harsher months.
Use a once-daily moisturizer. In only a few seconds, you can provide a day’s worth of moisturization. Using moisturizer can become part of your daily shower habits alongside putting on deodorant, shaving, and whatever else you normally do. Apply moisturizer to still slightly damp skin for best results.
How Moisturizers Work to Lock in Hydration
As most people know, our body is comprised of about 60 percent water. Needless to say, your body has plenty of moisture to go around. The reason that winter causes dry skin is that the harsher conditions lead to water being lost from the skin’s surface. Potent moisturizers fight against this with occlusives, emollients, and humectants.
Occlusives are the heavier ingredients in moisturizers which literally seal in moisture. Occlusives work by forming a hydrophobic layer on the surface layer of skin to prevent water from escaping while also protecting the skin from external irritants. Occlusives are the most important ingredient for winter skin hydration.
Emollients go deep within the skin to fill gaps left by dry, cracked, and damaged skin. Humectants work by attracting moisture from within the body to the skin’s surface. These three ingredient types work in tandem to leave skin feeling hydrated, refreshed, and strong during even the driest of winters.
Once-Daily Moisturization for All Seasons
So what should you be looking for when shopping for a moisturizer this winter? The answer is simple, the same things you should be looking for when you are shopping for moisturizers all year round!
- High quality ingredients: the best packaging and marketing in the world doesn’t mean much if the ingredients aren’t there. Learn to look for high quality ingredients like amino acids for potent skin relief.
- All three of the pillars of skin hydration: again, even expensive ingredients cannot replace well rounded formulas which include occlusives, humectants, and emollients.
- No unnecessary additives, detergents, or irritants: the sad reality is that many skincare products focus more on the peripheral experience than actual effectiveness. Look for products backed by scientific research rather than relying on pleasant scents, packaging, and so forth.
- Find the right moisturizer for your needs. Everyone’s skin is slightly different. Men and women may have different skin care needs just as young adults may have different needs than older individuals. Do your homework and find the moisturizer which is best suited for your situation.
HEFF Relief for Men Restores, Renews, and Repairs Cracked and Damaged Skin
HEFF is a men’s moisturizing cream developed for dry, cracked hands, elbows, and feet. We believe in providing the strongest possible product for men who work hard. Our non-greasy formula harnesses the power of essential amino acids to heal your skin without leaving any nasty residue! Purchases of HEFF support the United States military through Operation Gratitude and our ongoing military donation program.If you are in need of some serious dry skin relief, look no further! Our products are available in major retailers across the country, online, or you can feel free to contact us directly with any additional questions.