Weekend warriors is a term for those who don’t just like sitting back, drinking a beer, and watching football on the weekends. Well, we might drink a beer or two and watch the game, but we also use our free time to serve in the military reserves, lift weights, play sports, and much more. An active lifestyle can be great for overall health. One aspect that is often overlooked is how working and playing hard seven days a week can wreak havoc on the skin. While most active men don’t give their skin a second thought, we believe that all men should take care of their skin so that nothing can slow them down!
Today, we will review how active lifestyles can increase the risk of certain skin conditions, examples of simple skincare routines for men, and why a once-daily moisturizer for men might be all you need to keep skin healthy and strong.
Hard Working Weekend Warriors at Risk for Skin Conditions
All men who lead an active lifestyle know the feeling of dry, cracked, and damaged skin. Yet dry skin is only one of a handful of common skin conditions that can impact weekend warriors. Other examples include:
- Acne: one of the most prevalent skin conditions on the planet, acne can impact men and boys of all ages. Sweat, stress, high humidity, and other factors can cause or exacerbate acne.
- Sunburn: we guys tend to think of sunburn as just a scraped knee or something to be shrugged off. Most of the time, sunburn is harmless enough. However, sunburn can dry out skin, cause real damage, and most importantly, is a sign that your skin may be susceptible to potentially deadly skin cancers such as melanoma.
- Eczema: Over 30 million Americans suffer from eczema. This condition causes itchy, red, swollen, and thickened skin. Moisturization is a great place to start, but many cases of eczema require acute treatment.
- Athlete’s foot: for active men, athlete’s foot generally stems from gym showers, locker rooms, and other communal areas. However, any guy who exercises regularly is at risk of developing athlete’s foot.
Simple Skincare Routine for Active Men
As we mentioned earlier, we understand that many men simply do not give their skin much time or attention. Believe us, we get it. Yet keeping your skin healthy and strong is extremely easy with a simple skincare routine. Here are the three pillars of skincare so you don’t have to worry about complicated routines:
- Cleansing: the basis of any skincare routine should be cleansing the skin. Try to use soaps, shampoos, and conditioners which are free of irritants like parabens, sulfates, and synthetic dyes and fragrances when possible. Another important piece of advice is to limit showers to reasonable times and temperatures. Long, excessively hot showers and/or baths can dry out skin as much as anything.
- Sun protection: men are at a higher risk than women when it comes to sun-related skin damage. This is due to a number of factors including men’s natural skin genetics and the proclivity of men to ignore sun protection in their daily lives. When the potential downsides include life-threatening cancer, we believe all men should include sun protection in their daily routine.
- Moisturizing: last but not least, keeping skin hydrated is the best way for men with active lifestyles to stay in the game. Not only does moisturizing help with visibly dry skin, but it also protects areas like your feet and elbows which can take a pounding from strenuous activities on the job or in your spare time. Using a moisturizer once-daily after your shower will keep your skin hydrated and protected.
Why Moisturizer is Essential for Active Lifestyles
For an analogy of why once-daily moisturizer is so important for men with active lifestyles, imagine a leather belt. High quality leather belts and other leather products are treated with oils to both soften and strengthen the product. Over time, belts will often dry out with use. This causes dry belts to crack, split, and become weak. Genuine leather products require additional oil applications to keep them strong and flexible.
Your skin is not exactly the same as leather, but the same principles apply. Just as a dry belt is a weak belt, so is dry skin weak skin. When you are lifting weights, climbing mountains, or going through Army Basic Training, the last thing you want to be worrying about is your skin! Instead, choose a potent moisturizer specifically formulated for active men and keep your head in the game.
HEFF Moisturizer for Men is Built for Extremely Dry Skin
HEFF is a men’s moisturizing cream developed for dry, cracked hands, elbows, and feet. We believe in providing the strongest possible product for men who work hard. Our non-greasy formula harnesses the power of essential amino acids to heal your skin without leaving any nasty residue! Purchases of HEFF support the United States military through Operation Gratitude and our ongoing military donation program.If you are in need of some serious dry skin relief, look no further! Our products are available in major retailers across the country, online, or you can feel free to contact us directly with any additional questions.