Doing it yourself is more than just a hobby, it’s something that provides a sense of accomplishment for many of us. Tackling projects at home or on the job can save money, save time, and allow for our projects to come out exactly how we want them. Many of us who enjoy working with our hands also just do it to develop a new skill or teach our kids what we have learned over the years. One downside of these projects is that hard work can be even harder on our skin. If you’ve ever experienced cracked, bleeding knuckles or extremely dry foot skin after a long day, you know the feeling!
Today, we will discuss some common skin issues that face hard working men, why DIY projects can cause dry, cracked, and damaged skin, and how once-daily moisturizer can help to provide relief to dry skin caused by working with your hands.
Hard Working Hands Run into Common Skin Problems
Men tend to think of our skin as indestructible. Sure, most of the time it’s easy enough to shrug off some mild discomfort, but there are very real skin problems which can crop up from using our hands at work and at home. These may include:
- Irritant contact dermatitis: a common skin issue facing DIYers is irritants getting on the skin and causing discomfort. Irritant contact dermatitis frequently shows signs right away, but may take many weeks, months, or even years to manifest.
- Skin cancer (melanoma): men are more likely to develop potentially deadly skin cancers such as melanoma. Be sure to cover up and/or use protective sunscreen when possible.
- Common skin conditions: if you suffer from a common skin condition such as acne, psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, etc, you should be cognizant of protecting your skin while working on DIY projects. It is generally a good idea to cover up these areas when possible and follow doctor’s orders when necessary.
- Allergic contact dermatitis: many of us have felt a sudden rash or irritated skin when working on a project and not been sure exactly where it came from. Symptoms like redness, blistering, hives, or rash, may all be a sign that your skin is reaction to a chemical allergen in your work. Most reactions are mild, but be sure to contact a doctor if you develop an infection, or the allergic reaction has spread to the mouth, lungs, eyes, or other vulnerable body parts.
Why DIY Projects Lead to Dry Skin
While all of the above face weekend warriors and handymen alike, there is no question that dry skin is the number one skin condition that affects hard working hands. So how exactly does working on DIY projects lead to dry skin? There are a litany of reasons, but it mostly comes down to three things:
- DIY projects leave the skin exposed. Exposed skin is far more likely to dry out. This can be due to low humidity, extreme temperatures, or any other outside irritants.
- DIY projects often lead to skin getting wet or frequent hand washing. Ironically, the more your skin gets wet and the more you wash your hands, the greater the likelihood that you will develop dry skin.
- DIY projects involve chemical and repetitive stress irritants. Last but not least, DIY often involves the use of chemicals that can irritate the skin and/or strenuous activities which can also cause dry, damaged skin. Protective handwear, clothing, and other equipment is always recommended as needed.
Men’s Moisturizer for Very Dry Skin
There are a number of simple and easy lifestyle changes that men and women can use to help alleviate their dry skin. Today, we will focus on the easiest one: moisturizer. A once-daily moisturizer for men utilizes specifically formulated ingredients to restore, renew, and repair cracked and damaged dry skin. While many products like Vasline merely cover your skin in a coat of waxy stuff, a potent moisturizer penetrates deep within the skin’s surface to deliver ingredients including amino acids.
DIY enthusiasts can use moisturizers as part of their daily routine alongside showering, shaving, deodorant, etc. It is recommended that users apply moisturizer while the skin is still slightly damp to trap some of the moisture for long lasting hydration. Rather than reaching for any old moisturizer in the drugstore checkout aisle, try one that has been developed by doctors, chemists, and other researchers to be strong enough for hard working hands!
HEFF Relief Daily Moisturizing Cream for DIYers
HEFF cream for hands, elbows and feet has been specifically formulated for working men. Harnessing the power of amino acids, our lotion is ideal for even the most dry, cracked skin. Think of once-daily HEFF as routine maintenance for your body. Shower, shave, apply daily moisturizing cream, and you are all set for a day of hard work or hard play.
For every tube of HEFF sold, we are proud to donate a tube to Operation Gratitude. This is a small way of giving back to the men and women who keep our country safe.