You may have heard that men have healthier skin because we shave our faces more frequently. You may have heard that women have healthier skin than men because they shave their body hair more frequently. You may have heard that shaving every day can damage skin, lead to razor burn, and more. You may even have heard that shaving hair causes it to grow back thicker, faster, and darker.
So what the hell is going on with shaving and skin health? Today, we will review how shaving vs. not shaving each have their own skin benefits, bust some common shaving myths, and review how moisturizing can help skin whether or not you are a frequent shaver.
Shaving Myths vs. Shaving Facts
Before we dive into the skin benefits of shaving vs. not shaving, let’s first address the elephant (or elephants) in the room. For whatever reason, shaving has more than its fair share of wives’ tales and flat out myths. Here are a few shaving fabrications you may have heard:
- Shaving causes hair to grow back thicker, faster, and darker. This is just flat out false. There is no reason for this common misconception other than hearsay and nonsense.
- Sharper razor blade cause greater irritation. It is quite the opposite. The sharper and fresher your razor blade, the smoother your shave. The smoother your shave, the healthier your skin will be as a result!
- Shaving against the grain is best. Particularly for shaving the face, going with the grain is more effective and will create less friction and drag on your skin. If you have ever experienced painful razor burn, you know going against the grain can just make things worse.
- Shaving every day is harmful to skin. This simply isn’t true. As we will discuss below, how you shave is more important than the frequency (within reason).
The Skin Benefits of Regular Shaving
There is some truth to the concept that daily shaving helps men achieve clearer, healthier skin. Additionally, shaving is the only ritualistic skincare done by many men. It is therefore important to understand how to make the most out of your daily shaving habit and why this can potentially benefit skin health.
Shaving is an excellent mechanical exfoliant. While it may not penetrate into your pores like products which are specifically designed to exfoliate, it is absolutely effective at removing a top layer of dead skin cells and other debris. Shaving is also a great way to moisturize and rejuvenate skin if you are using the proper skincare products such as high quality shaving cream and after shave moisturizer.
How Growing a Beard Can Benefit Skin Health
So what about growing a beard — can skipping that shave actually benefit skin health? Here are just a few reasons why growing a beard can also lead to healthy skin:
- Beards protect your face from sun damage. Perhaps the biggest skin concern for men is our susceptibility to UV rays which can lead to serious health conditions including melanoma.
- Beards and moustaches filter air. For those of us with airborne allergies, that flavor savor on your upper lip can actually do a great deal when it comes to filtering and cleaning the air before it hits your lungs.
- Beards prevent wind damage and keep us warm in the winter. Have you ever shaved in the middle of winter? Did you regret it? Do I still regret doing it? Yes, yes I do. Beards offer a legitimate way of staying warm in cold weather. Once you are used to the protection, going without can feel like leaving the house naked.
How Daily Moisturization Protects Hard Working Skin Whether You Shave or Not
At the end of the day, the decision to shave or go with a full beard is completely personal. There are benefits to both, and your skin will likely remain healthy no matter what you choose. However, there is one way to maintain your healthy skin all year round: by using a once-daily moisturizing cream for men.
Instead of thinking of it as a skincare routine or something cosmetic, think of it as daily maintenance for your body. Men are particularly prone to dry, cracked, and damaged skin. By using a single product for just a few seconds per day, you will be maintaining the health and the strength of your skin. What do you have to lose?
HEFF Daily Moisturizing Cream for Hands, Elbows, and Feet
HEFF is a men’s moisturizing cream developed for dry, cracked hands, elbows, and feet. We believe in providing the strongest possible product for men who work hard. Our non-greasy formula harnesses the power of essential amino acids to heal your skin without leaving any nasty residue! Purchases of HEFF support the United States military through Operation Gratitude and our ongoing military donation program.If you are in need of some serious dry skin relief, look no further! Our products are available in major retailers across the country, online, or you can feel free to contact us directly with any additional questions.