Itchy skin can result from a number of outside causes such as common skin conditions, allergic reactions, and even psychiatric diseases. Yet the number one reason why most of us experience habitual itchy skin is dryness. Thankfully, if your root cause of itchiness is dry skin, that is a very simple problem to solve. With powerful moisturizing cream and a few simple lifestyle changes, most individuals can resolve their dry, itchy skin relatively quickly.
With this in mind, we will be discussing some common causes of dry skin, why dry skin causes that itchy sensation, some simple tips to reduce skin dryness, and how moisturizers work to repair, restore, and renew damaged skin.
Common Causes of Dry Skin
As mentioned in the introduction, there is a litany of reasons why your skin may become dry and itchy. When it comes to dry skin, here are a few common causes:
- Occupational and/or environmental hazards: hard-working hands often become dry due to the repetitive strain to which they are exposed. This can be as simple as skin irritation from working with your hands, from over-washing your hands, or possibly even allergic dermatitis from environmental irritants.
- Active lifestyles: we all love to get out there and play hard. Yet activities such as swimming and lifting weights can absolutely cause dry, damaged skin.
- Common skin disorders: those with skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and more frequently experience dry skin.
- Aging: as we get older, our skin naturally becomes drier. This increases the need for daily moisturization.
Why Does my Skin Itch When it Gets Dry?
Itchy skin may feel like an innocuous symptom. We all experience dry, itchy skin from time to time, so no big deal, right? In reality, that itching sensation you get when your skin is dry is due to your body sending you signals that the skin is damaged and in need of repair.
Your skin’s itch response is essentially your body’s way of telling you to get off your butt and do something about your skin. The good news is that this is usually quite easy to do. If you are experiencing dry and itchy skin, read on for some simple ways to improve your skin health.
Lifestyle Changes to Prevent Dry, Itchy Skin
For those with itchy, cracked, and damaged skin, consider trying some of these simple lifestyle changes which can allow your skin to become more moisturized naturally:
- Use a once-daily moisturizer: there is no question that dry, itchy skin needs a moisturizer to restore itself. More on this in the following section.
- Limit hot showers: long, scalding showers can feel great, but they wreak havoc on your skin. You are essentially stripping your skin of the top layer of oil and even skin cells, which cause skin to dry out quickly.
- Avoid skin irritants from soaps and other household products: soaps with added fragrances, antibacterial soaps, and any skin product with alcohol (like hand sanitizers) can all dry your skin.
- Use a humidifier if necessary: if you live in a dry environment or if you experience long, moisture sucking winters, consider a humidifier in your bedroom or work space. Dry air can cause dry, itchy skin and can even have a negative impact on your health in other ways.
- Use proper shaving techniques: many of us shave daily, and that can certainly cause dry and damaged skin. Use sharp razor blades, shave with the grain, and use appropriate shaving cream/shaving butter to avoid skin damage.
Once Daily Moisturizer Can Restore Dry, Cracked Skin
At the end of the day, all of the above tips may not do you much good without looking for some direct relief. We know that some men are hesitant to reach for a moisturizer, but what do you have to lose? Think of daily moisturization as simply part of your daily shower routine. Hop out of the shower, apply some moisturizer to your face, hands, elbows, and feet as necessary, and move on with your day.
Consider a moisturizer which has been specifically formulated for men with active lifestyles. This type of moisturizer will be able to repair, restore, and renew even the most dry and damaged skin by penetrating beneath the skin’s surface. Don’t ignore that dry skin, do something about it!
HEFF Moisturizing Cream for Hands, Elbows, and Feet
At HEFF, our team of doctors, chemists, and researchers developed our hand, elbow and foot cream for a singular purpose: to restore dry, chapped, cracked, split hands, elbows, knees, and feet. Our proprietary formula harnesses the power of amino acids to deliver unparalleled hydration and recovery for damaged skin. HEFF hand cream is non-greasy, water-based, and will leave you without any unpleasant scents or residues.
Additionally, for each tube purchased, HEFF will donate a tube to military, military families, and/or first responders through the charity Operation Gratitude. We are proud to give back in this small way to our nation’s heroes.